CSR generation for the Internet Information Server v.7 (IIS7) should be done through Internet Services Manager using the steps below:
- Click Start > Administrative Tools
- Start Internet Services Manager
- Click Server Name > double-click on the "Server Certificates" button in the "IIS" section, located in the center menu
- Choose the "Actions" menu (on the right) > click on "Create Certificate Request".
- The Request Certificate wizard will be opened. From here, you will need to enter the information required for the CSR code (details and example listed below):
- Common Name: yourdomain.com
- Organization: MyCompany Ltd
- Organization Unit (eg, section): IT, Support, Sales etc.
- City/ Locality Name: Los Angeles
- State or Province Name (full name): California
- Country Name (2 letter code): US
For Wildcard SSL certificates the common name should be specified in the format: *.yourdomain.tld
- Click Next once all fields are filled in completely
- In the "Cryptographic Service Provider Properties" window:
- Leave Cryptographic Service provider Default (Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider)
- Change the Bit Length to 2048.
- Click Next
- Specify a filename and location to save your CSR code (e.g. c:\certreq.txt)
- Click On Finish
Follow the steps below to save your private key:
go to: Certificates snap in in the MMC > Requests > All tasks > Export.